“If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.”
2 Chronicles 7:14 NKJV
“…and seek My face…”
In Psalm 27:8, David says “When You said, ‘Seek My face,’ my heart said to You, ‘Your face, Lord, I will seek.’ David a man after God’s own heart, sought God’s face when he heard Him call out.
Do we hear God calling out to us?
When we seek God’s face, we seek who He is, by faith, reminding ourselves of all that He is. Without faith it is impossible to please God, for those who come to Him must believe that He is God – He is all that His name entails – and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him – Hebrews 11:6.
The call to remember that He is:
- The Alpha and the Omega – Revelation 1:8
- The Beginning and the End – Revelation 1:8
- Jehovah Jireh – the God who provides – Genesis 22:14, Ephesians 3:20, Philippians 4:19
- Jehovah Rapha – the God who heals – Exodus 15:26
- Jehovah Nissi – the Family Banner – Exodus 17:15
- Jehovah Raah – the Shepherd – Psalm 23:1
- Elohim – the One who reigns supreme – Genesis 1:1
- Yahweh – our personal Lord, whom we have a relationship with – Exodus 3:14, Isaiah 42:8
- Lord Almighty – Genesis 17:1, 2 Corinthians 6:18
- Adonai – Sovereign – Exodus 3:14-15, Colossians 1:16
- Immanuel – God with us – Matthew 1:23
- Our Abba, Father – we are adopted into His family – Romans 8:15
- El Shadai – the all Sufficient One and thus sufficient for everything we face in this life – Genesis 35:11
- Spirit of Truth – John 16:13
- The Trinity – three in One – Genesis 1:26, Isaiah 6:8, 1 John 5:7
- God the Father – Genesis 1:1
- God the Son – John 10:30
- God the Holy Spirit – John 14:17
- Wisdom – 1 Corinthians 1:30
- King eternal – 1 Timothy 1:17
- King immortal – 1 Timothy 1:17
- King invisible – 1 Timothy 1:17
- Omnipotent – Hebrews 1:3
- Omniscient – Psalm 147:5
- Omnipresent – Proverbs 15:3
- The Truth – John 14:6
- The Way – John 14:6
- The Life – John 14:6
- Wonderful – Isaiah 9:6
- Counselor – Isaiah 9:6
- Mighty God – Isaiah 9:6
- Everlasting Father – Isaiah 9:6
- Prince of Peace – Isaiah 9:6
- Light of the world – John 8:12
- Bread of life – John 6:48
- Not of this world – John 8:23
- Shield – Psalm 28:7
- Deliverer – Psalm 37:39
- Redeemer– Job 19:25, Psalm 78:35
- Protector – Psalm 5:11
God has given us perfect provision in Himself – the Trinity. Therefore, as we walk by faith, seeking His face believing that He is all of this and more, we please Him and He rewards us perfectly.
He says in Jeremiah 29:13 “And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.” And we are told in Matthew 7:7 “… seek, and you will find…”
If our hearts are turned toward God, we will find Him. We will see Him in our midst. We will see the invisible, whose touch details the world in which we live.
Jesus tell us in the Sermon on the Mount, “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God” – Mathew 5:8 NKJV. The pure in heart do not have sin obstructing their view; they are devoid of idols – 1 John 3:3. Therefore, when God calls us to seek His face, He is calling His people to focus on Him leaving all idols behind. He is calling us to live out the first four commandments:
- Do not have any other gods before God.
- Do not make for yourself a carved image.
- Do not take the Lord’s name in vain.
- Honor the Sabbath day and keep it holy.
In this very call to seek His face, God is calling us to love Him. If we love Him, we will display our love by obeying His commands – John 14:15.
He already displayed His greatest act of love when He sent His only Son to die on the cross for all of our sins so that we can have the hope of heaven. Jesus Christ, the God-Man, drank the cup we could never drink – Matthew 20:22; and because He not only died but rose again three days later, we live this life through heaven’s eternity with His constant presence. We are never alone. Our God is alive. He is here! He is with us always.
So when we seek God, we look to God – the One who reigns supreme – and we point to the One who reigns supreme. We look to God – our Deliverer – and point to our Deliverer. We look to God – our Redeemer – and point to our Redeemer. We look to God – our Provider – and point to our Provider. We look to God – our Healer – and point to our Healer. We look to God — our perfect example to follow – and point to our perfect example to follow.
And in our very actions we glorify Him, boasting solely in the Lord!
It is way too easy to get lost in the tangible and what we visibly see, forgetting the One who is behind every good and perfect gift – James 1:17. Therefore, when we hear God calling out to seek His face, there is a very personal reason He is calling us to. We are all accountable for our own walk with Him, working out our salvation with fear and trembling – Philippians 2:12. So would we say like David, “When You said, ‘Seek My face,’ my heart said to You, ‘Your face, Lord, I will seek’” – Psalm 27:8. For ears to hear and eyes to see are gifts from the Lord – Proverbs 20:12.
Will you pray with me?
Abba! Today, are we seeking You or are we seeking idols? Are we pointing to You in our actions or are we pointing to people? Are You receiving the glory or are we desiring the glory? Speak to us Lord, personally, sharing with us where we are at with You. Renew our mind with Your words of truth, filling us with Your Spirit so that we can live these truths in our everyday. And for all those wandering away from You, I pray King a believer steps into their path turning them back – James 5:19-20. Don’t allow any of us to be misled by the enemies lies that are filled with subtle compromise. Thank You for Your name, the Name above all names — it protects us, comforts us, encourages us, and corrects us. When You call us to seek Your face, You are calling us to focus on You. And we thank You, for when we focus on You we don’t see the waves surrounding us; we are not tossed by the turmoil. We simply see the One who holds everything and who can change anything in an instant.
King, I pray believers desire to walk by faith and not by sight; that they see You, the invisible in their midst and their hearts are lit. You are everywhere! You are growing everyone in their faith right now as You teach us how to endure trials, by responding to Your promises; how to understand the temptations around us, obeying Your Word; and that our faith is demonstrated when we obey You, for faith without works is dead – James 2:17. You are separating us from the world, revealing that separation by way of our faith lived. And we praise You, trusting in You.
Abba, in this season, of seemingly prolonged turmoil, we pray like the psalmist, “Help us, O God of our salvation! Help us for the glory of Your name. Save us and forgive our sins for the honor of Your name” – Psalm 79:9. In Jesus precious name, Amen.