There are many historical Christian quotes that are timeless. Truly, they are gems left behind by faithful followers of Jesus Christ, for Christians to learn from. I personally, am a fan of quotes. Some statements, I analyze as a writer/researcher and honestly I cannot say it any better. There are people who have walked along the historic timeline, who simply nail truths with such accuracy and are absolutely worth quoting. These Christians put in the time. They studied before the Lord, and out of their mouth the Holy Spirit spoke and continues to speak to this day. Their quotes are not Scripture; Scripture is Scripture, and can never be changed or added to. Their words simply enlighten Christians in understanding concepts. Seriously, they help us with intellect and give us strength in conversation as we face the world in which we live.
In this blog, I’ve included some excerpts from books – books that I believe are definitely worth reading. A citation is included under each quote.
Christian Quotes on Adam & Eve
All of his work was original. No one ever accused him of being a plagarist.Billy Sunday, 1862-1935, Professional baseball player and American Evangelist, from Love Stories of the Bible, 1917
2. The woman was made of a rib out of the side of Adam; not made out of his head to rule over him, nor out of his feet to be trampled upon by him, but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected, and near his heart to be beloved.Matthew Henry, 1662-1714, Minister, Theologian, Author, from Matthew Henry’s Commentary on the Whole Bible, 1706
Christian Quotes on the Bible
3. The Bible is a mirror of life – not the life of one period but of all periods.Billy Sunday, 1862-1935, Professional baseball player and American Evangelist, from Love Stories of the Bible, 1917
4. The Bible is a book of faith, and doctrine and a book of religion, a special revelation from God. But it is also a book which teaches man his own responsibilities, his own dignity and equality with his fellow man.Daniel Webster, 1782-1852, American Statesman, from “Speaking on the Constitution,” 1837
5. The school of the Holy Spirit.John Calvin, 1509-1564, French theologian, Pastor, Reformer
6. We rob the work of Jesus Christ of its efficacy, and we stand powerless before the adversary, because we doubt the integrity of the Word of God.Corrie ten Boom, 1892-1983, Imprisoned in a Concentration Camp during WWII, from Amazing Love, 1953
Christian Quotes on Character
7. You cannot build character and courage by taking away man’s initiative and independence.Abraham Lincoln, 1809-1865, 16th President of the United States of America
8. When away from home always be like the kind of person you would care to take into your own home.William J. H. Boetcker, 1873-1962, Presbyterian Minister
9. Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test his character, give him power.Abraham Lincoln, 1809-1865, 16th President of the United States of America
10. His character is his message.Henry Drummond, 1851-1897, Scottish Evangelist, Biologist, Writer, from The Greatest Thing in the World, 1870
11. No one would remember the Good Samaritan, if he’d only had good intentions; he had money as well.Margaret Thatcher, 1925-2013, 1st British Female Prime Minister
Christian Quotes on Faith
12. If your faith is in experiences, anything that happens is likely to upset that faith. But nothing can ever change God or the reality of redemption. Base your faith on that, and you are as eternally secure as God Himself.Oswald Chambers, 1874-1917, Scottish Baptist Evangelist, Holiness Movement Evangelist, Teacher, from My Utmost for His Highest, December 3
13. The reality of the victory of Christ can be seen only by faith, which is our radar. Our faith perceives what is actual and real; our senses perceive only that which is limited to three dimensions and comprehended by our intellect. Faith sees more.Corrie ten Boom, 1892-1983, Imprisoned in a Concentration Camp during WWII, from Amazing Love, 1953
14. Why is Love greater than faith? Because the end is greater than the means. What is the use of having faith? It is to connect the soul with God. And what is the object of connecting man with God? That he may become like God. But God is Love. Hence, Faith, the means is in order to Love, the end. Love, therefore, obviously is greater than faith.Henry Drummond, 1851-1897, Scottish Evangelist, Biologist, Writer, from The Greatest Thing in the World, 1870
15. Your genuine faith – in the fire that tests your belief in God, your love for Him, your loyalty and adherence to His Word – pleases God and is rewarded with the crown of life.Alysa VanderWeerd, Doctoral Candidate in Community Care and Counseling: Family & Marriage, from The Right Tools, Volume 1, 2019
16. Our faith is proven when we love our neighbors, not when we judge them.Alysa VanderWeerd, Doctoral Candidate in Community Care and Counseling: Family & Marriage, from Radical Living: The Book of James, 2019
17. There are two parodies of the truth which different sets of Christians have, in the past, been accused by other Christians of believing … “Good actions are all that matters” …[and] “Faith is all that matters. Consequently, if you have faith, it doesn’t matter what you do. Sin away, my lad, and have a good time and Christ will see that it makes no difference in the end.” The answer to that nonsense is that, if what you call your “faith” in Christ does not involve taking the slightest notice of what He says, then it is not Faith at all – not faith or trust in Him, but only intellectual acceptance of some theory about Him.C.S. Lewis, 1898-1963, British Writer, Theologian, from Mere Christianity, 1953
Christian Quotes on Friendship
18. If instead of a gem, or even a flower, we should cast the gift of a loving thought into the heart of a friend, that would be giving as the angels give.George MacDonald, 1824-1905, Scottish Author, Poet, Christian Minister, from Annals of a Quiet Neighborhood, 1866
19. A friend is what the heart needs all the time.Henry Van Dyke, 1852-1933, American Author, Educator, Clergyman
20. The best mirror is an old friend.George Herbert, 1593-1633, Poet, Orator, Priest of the Church of England
The Right Tools Volume 1
These historical Christian quotes are from The Right Tools Volume 1. There are so many amazing Christians in history who have shared throughout their lifetime, a wealth of truth in regards to the Bible and this Christian life in which we live. We are very blessed by their faithful service to God, as we are the recipients of their wisdom and experience.
The compilation of quotes I’ve presented in The Right Tools Volume 1 are not all from Christians. I did this on purpose. We Christians need to learn how to think for ourselves. Not everyone who speaks with authority is speaking truth. When we know God, we can rightly assess what is being stated; pointing out fallacies of thought and belief, or gaps in their understanding of subjects. In turn, we can rightly present an argument that points people to truth. In college, students practice this. They read a statement and they write an affirmative or counter argument, bringing in other primary sources to support their case.